Okay, so maybe our community hasn’t been so lucky this Winter. I have lost count of how many days school has been closed in the past two months. In fact, I have lost count of the days. Howard County is running out of road salt, and I am running out of patience with my kids. Can anyone relate?
Thankfully, there will be another Family Bingo Night this Friday night to keep us all sane. What’s so magical about Bingo Night?
1. It’s cheaper than the movies or the mall. Bingo cards are 5 for $1.00. Drinks are $.75 each. Bingo daubers are less than $2. Snacks are FREE. It’s so cheap, you can bring your kids’ friends and look like a hero to their parents.
2. We have new Spring prizes. Besides the standard fare, we will also have a few new Spring and St. Patrick’s Day themed prizes (sorry, no green beer — actually, no beer at all). And there’s always CASH for winners to boot.
3. Your kids will look at you, not a screen. Okay, they might be staring at their bingo card a lot too, but they will at least be forced to interact with you face-to-face to beg for a soda or a dauber. No avatars allowed!
4. Bad jokes make everything better. You’ll laugh! You’ll groan! Our Village Manager always trots out a few horribly corny jokes to spice up the evening — for no extra charge!
5. FREE Cheese Curls. Admit it. You love cheese curls. Your kids love cheese curls. But you don’t buy them because — Eww! What are they made of? And the orange slime they leave on your fingers is just nasty. But everychild deserves a disgustingly delicious cheese curl from time to time, and since we provide them at no cost to you they can indulge (because it’s a SPECIAL OCCASION) and you don’t have to buy any junk food!
See! It’s the best Friday night event in Howard County, and it’s only at The Hawthorn Center. Come join the fun – no reservations required! Just bring your cash and your lucky charms! We will see you then.
Bring your Luck O’ the Irish to our next Bingo Night on Friday, March 7. We will celebrate the arrival of Spring (it is coming, right?) and St. Patrick’s Day with a night full of bingo, fun and prizes for all ages! As usual, we start at 7:30 pm and play until 9:00, finishing the night with a fill-the-card round. No registration is required – bingo cards are 5 for $1.00, drinks are 75 cents, and snacks are free! We can’t guarantee that you’ll win, but we can promise you’ll have a good time!
We will open at 10:00 am today. Our parking lot and sidewalks are clear, but roads in and around Hickory Ridge are still icy.
Please note that Howard County public schools and senior centers are closed today.
Trash and recycling are on a slide schedule this week, so if you were supposed to have either one collected yesterday, it will be collected today.
If you don’t know what to do with the kids, note that the Mall and Howard County Libraries are OPEN!
Stay safe and warm!
-Jessamine Duvall, Village Manager
Due to the inclement weather, we are canceling tonight’s Village Board meeting. Our next meeting will be held on March 17, 2014 at 7:30 pm.
Please stay inside and off the roads this afternoon and evening if possible.
The village office is closed due to snow. We will make a determination about whether or not to cancel tonight’s Village Board meeting later today.
Please also note that trash and recycling collection has been canceled today as well.
Due to the heavier than anticipated snowfall last night, the village office is closed today. The Hearts & Humor event with Daisy the Clown has been cancelled.
Please note that we will also be closed on Monday, February 17 for President’s Day. However, the Village Board meeting on February 17 will be held as scheduled.
Please stay off the roads today if possible, and enjoy the snow day!
We are closed today due to the snow. We are hopeful that we will reopen tomorrow and that our Hearts & Humor School’s Out Lunch with Daisy the Clown will be held as planned. Check back for an update later today or this evening about when we will reopen.
Snow Emergency Plans are now in effect for Howard County. Please stay off the roads today if possible. You can check road conditions live on Howard County’s Snow Tracker online:http://www.howardcountymd.gov/iframetemplate.aspx?id=4294969851
Stay safe and warm!
Don’t know what to do with the kids on Friday the 14th? Celebrate Valentine’s Day with the kids at our School’s Out Lunch for elementary and preschool age children and their families at The Hawthorn Center from 12:00 – 1:15 pm on Friday, February 14. We will be serving a pizza lunch and providing entertainment by Daisy the Clown. Daisy is no ordinary clown — she tells jokes and does magic tricks as she transforms into a clown using makeup and costumes. Kids have fun and learn that clowns are nothing to fear. All this for only $5 per person! To register, visit http://goo.gl/sneF0l.
The village office will open at 11:00 am today due to icy road conditions. Please stay off the roads this morning, if possible.
Ring in the new year with a night of affordable family fun at our next Family Bingo Night at The Hawthorn Center on Friday, January 31 from 7:30—9:00 pm. We provide disposable bingo cards at 5 for $1, drinks for 75 cents each and free snacks. We play until 9:00 pm, when we end the night with a “fill-the-card” round. Bring the kids, the neighbor’s kids, some cash and your lucky charms. No reservations are required; just show up and be ready to play!